7 Signs Your Child May Have ADHD

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is a very complex mental health condition that not only could affect your child’s success at school, but how they interact with others. The problem with this particular disorder is that the symptoms associated with it do vary so it can prove challenging for us as parents to recognise that our child may be suffering from it.

Below are seven of the more common symptoms that may well indicate that your child is suffering from ADHD. But it is important to remember that many of these symptoms are within our child’s normal range. The only way for a diagnosis of ADHD to be made is through a medical professional evaluating your child using a specific set of criteria.

Symptom 1 – Interrupt Others

Parents scolding child in home

Have you noticed that when you are talking to someone that your child interrupts, or do they have problems waiting their turn when involved in activities at school or playing games with others. A child’s inability to recognise what other people’s needs or desires are is a very common symptom of them possibly having ADHD.

angry child, Boy Screaming hysterical

Symptom 2 – Outbursts Of Anger

Does your child suddenly get angry at times that seem inappropriate or have they started to suffer from temper tantrums more frequently. Temper tantrums is something that occurs more often in younger children and is something that should be mistaken from them suffering from what my mum use to refer to as the “terrible twos”. Children who suffer with this disorder will find it difficult to keep their emotions (both good and bad) in check.

Depositphotos_21965849_s copy

Symptom 3 – Attention Cannot Be Sustained

All children have difficulty with maintaining any kind of attention for something for any period of time. However it is pretty easy to determine whether your child is suffering from ADHD or not as their ability to sustain attention even for activities they really enjoy is short lived.

Student little school girl on laptop compute

Symptom 4 – Are They Constantly Distracted

Is your child constantly being distracted by the signs and sounds around them. Okay this could be something that all children suffer from. However a child with ADHD tends to be completely unable to sustain any kind of attention beyond a certain sound or sight.

Little superhero with his mother

Symptom 5 – Don’t Seem Able To Sit Still

One of the main symptoms that a child may have this disorder is that they are hyperactive. Yes all kids can be hyper occasionally, but there is a point where it can go beyond this with some. If you have noticed that your child finds staying in control difficult or is always on the move throughout the day then this could be a sign that they may be suffering from ADHD.

Depositphotos_31719499_s copy

Symptom 6 – Leave Tasks Unfinished

Does your child show interest in a number of different things but are finding it hard to see the task through to a conclusion? Generally you’ll find that children who suffer with this disorder may begin something say their homework but often walk away from it because something else has caught their attention instead.

Portrait of bored little girl at home

Symptom 7 – Lack Focus

One of the most frustrating symptoms associated with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is that a child has trouble paying attention even when you may be speaking to them directly. Even though they will say that they have heard what you have said, if you were to ask them to repeat it back, they wouldn’t have any idea.

16 Comments

1. Fallon on December 1, 2014 at 10:56 am

This all seems very relevant to my sons behaviour how do i go about getting it diagnosed and treated i find that when i go to the doctors they don’t like it if i suggest to them what i think my child has!

• Allison on December 2, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I would find an understanding doctor!

2. emma on December 4, 2014 at 12:15 am

Hi my son is being tested for adhd hes been seeing a consultant for atleast 2years? They ask for reports from previous nurserys and ealry years team its a lengthy process but I would defo ask ur dr to b referred to a paeditrican they can help then that will get the ball rolling but iv heard in general they don’t diagnose till there approx 6 or 7

• Allison on December 4, 2014 at 9:41 am

Thanks for that Emma, I’m sure that other moms will find what you have said of some great use and comfort.

3. Suzanne on December 5, 2014 at 4:04 pm

My son was diagnosed with ADHD 3 years ago he’s 14 now but I new something was up for a long time my dr kept brushing me off and telling me to change his diet I got in touch with the school nurse who requested a referal. To camhs but it still took 18 mths to get his diagnoses and he’s still having test now for auberge symdrone it’s a very long process but keep pushing my son now takes 6 tablets a day and we still struggle .

4. kylie on December 6, 2014 at 9:15 am

My 9 year old son is on the autism spectrum and has all of these symptoms. He gets extremely angry and screams and kicks things for no obvious (to us) reason. He can’t finish anything or focus on anything. He constantly interrupts and does not understand when i tell him he needs to wait because I was talking. He has been tested for ADHD but we were told all of these symptoms are also symptoms of his autism so he wasn’t diagnosed.

5. Cynthia on December 8, 2014 at 4:22 am

My son is 5 years old and he has all of the problems and my son..Doctor doesn’t do anything at all

• Allison on December 8, 2014 at 8:37 am

I would suggest you find another doctor to discuss your issues with.

6. orla on December 8, 2014 at 3:51 pm

My son is 7. His been assessed sense he was 2. He went through early intervention until he reached 6 and then they said he probably has ADHD. Now we had 3 meetings with CAMHS and they say he definitely has ADHD and an underlying problem also that effects socialising. It’s a hard process but we’ll worth it for your child. I just wish they classed it earlier. It would have saved lots of tears..

7. Mama on December 9, 2014 at 1:56 am

Yes, there are complaints of kids being over-diagnosed with ADHD, but my oh my it’s painful to watch a kid suffering from the constant torment in your class and the parents don’t want to look into it further. I believe in meds for this because I’ve seen it firsthand absolutely change a student’s life. To go from zero work completed and zero self-esteem to a successful award-winning student is all I need to witness to know there is something to it. This is for extreme cases that can’t be remedied by small, yet successful interventions. If your student is failing and your teacher is constantly saying, “They can’t focus” “They look painfully distracted all day” “I can’t get one assignment completed”, then it’s time to research.

8. tina hall on December 11, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I have 4 year old son he have being act out at school it is his 2 year in school it not new to him he did not act like this last school year so can it be adhd if yes what can I do I star a litter after 4 th bday

• Allison on December 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm

The first thing I suggest you do is speak to his teacher and also arrange an appointment with your doctor as he may be able to suggest some other reason for the way he is acting now. Plus they may be able to perform certain tests to see if your son is suffering from ADHD or suffers from some other issue.

• Ruth on January 7, 2015 at 10:41 am

It is worth noting that a teacher cannot ‘diagnose’ as they are not a doctor; a teacher can raise their concerns but a medical diagnosis has to be done by a paediatrician. If you are in the UK then I’m pretty sure that at 4 years old your son should still be on the radar of a health visitor, I’m sure it’s up to 5 years old. They would probably liaise with his school and then refer you to the Child Development Team (which comes under the NHS umbrella) where he will see a paediatrician. From experience, my son was first seen around his 2nd birthday and referred to the CDT, he was observed by Educational Psychologists in school, a Clinical Psychologist over many sessions at the CDT centre and finally got diagnosed with atypical autism 3 and a half years later. It can be a long process and a real battle in certain aspects but where there is real cause for concern you will get there in the end. Good luck 🙂

• Allison on January 7, 2015 at 11:25 am

Many thanks for the response Ruth I hope that others find this of use.

9. michelle on January 15, 2015 at 6:13 pm

My 9yr old son as adhd n was diagnosed almost 3 yrs ago,these symptoms they put here just luk like they describing my son, it was hard n long getting his diagnosis,but heaven harder trying 2 convince my husband that my son was struggling at schl at hme n even socially.but he’s now medicated, and the difference in him is em menace u wudnt even recognise he was the same child, he’s not overly medicated like sum pple av their children cos we didn’t want 2 take away his personality n who he is,he’s medicated just enuf 2 help him at schl n get him 2 a place where he’s equal 2 his class mates.but life is still an uphill struggle with him daily n just wen we think we’ve conquered 1 problem with him anutha occurs. .but hey hoe that’s way makes us who we r,and we wudnt av it and my otha way….

10. Julie on January 19, 2015 at 9:36 pm

my son is 10 yrs old and has all of the above symptoms he as been like this since he could walk I just thought he was naughty but his behaviour is so out of control I don’t know what to do with him or were to start the older he gets the worse he gets he constantly lashes out and speaks. Awful to me n his siblings .